By accepting you will be accessing a service provided by a third-party external to https://www.goodwellness.com/
There is one thing I dislike about Spring. Around the beginning of April, as Easter approaches, our snowbird clients make plans to go back up north.
After working with them all winter, learning what's new in their lives and seeing the positive changes in their bodies, it's more than a little sad to see them go.
I'm kind of known for saying the same phrases over and over again, so I can only hope that my annoying yet lovable voice sticks in their heads while they are gone, and they keep up their fitness and wellness programs.
So inspired by those of you about to hit the road in a week or so, I've put together a series of moves to keep your back strong in preparation for the hours of packing, sitting, and unpacking you are about to endure.
These are basic core and hip strengtheners that require no equipment. So roll out that mat and let's get started!
* Bird Dog- Start in tabletop position. Make sure your wrists, elbows, and shoulders are lined up, and your knees are directly under your hips. Tighten your core so your belly doesn't sag. Maintain a tight core throughout this exercise. Extend your right arm and then your left leg. Hold this spinal balance for a count of 5, then slowly lower back to the floor. Repeat with the left arm and right leg. Do 10-12 reps.
* Plank-Make sure your wrists, elbows, and shoulders are lined up. Keep your butt down, and tighten your core, do not your belly sag. Hold this position for 30 to 60 seconds
* Side plank-Start on your side with your feet together and line up your forearm under your shoulder. Contract your core and raise your hips until your body is in a straight line. Raise your top arm and open your chest to the side. Hold the position without letting your hips drop for 30-60 seconds, Then switch to the other side.
* Back extension-Start in a face down position. Raise your arms and chest off of the floor and hold this contraction for a couple seconds. Squeeze your lower back and exhale during this movement. Do 10-12 reps.
* Bridge: Lie flat on the floor on your back with hands by your side and your knees bent. Place your feet shoulder width apart. Push through your heels and exhale as you lift your hips off the floor while keeping your back straight. Then bring your hips back down to the starting position in a controlled manner. Do 10-12 reps.
Safe Travels you guys! And we are always here if you need us...stay in touch!!